Yes, its true, I had a mini melt down about processing!
I’m not quite sure what happened. It’s all very straightforward really.
I can only assume I must have some sort of weird mental block about it! I am here to learn not only new design and tech stuff, but about my limitations and this is exactly the sort of thing I need to get to grips with. so with resolve in hand I set to explore processing. The element I am talking about is called Generative Art. This is images created with code. Thats pretty mind blowing as a concept in itself really but now to get stuck in and kick my own issues to the kerb and master this beast!
Here are a few examples of the sort of thing I am talking about creating with processing and writing code.
Stunning aren’t they.
This project was kicked off with a superb presentation from Brendan Dawes. Brendan create the most complex and beautiful images from data. I could write reams about just him but if you are interested have a look at his site for starters.
So now for my own exploration.
GULP. So I thought the best plan was to start small and achievable and build on my skills.
My tutor Wayne was great and we had a chat about things, I think I was allowing my imagination of negative outcomes on this project to hijack my positivity somewhere along the line. Silly of me to allow that to happen. Lesson learnt, right, onwards.
Simple images can be created by going to code already written by a huge bank of designers and copying elements of it, or tweaking it slightly to create something new. I had a go and created some pleasing images. It is quite addictive though, I sat there for hours playing with this!
The challenge was to work out how to save the images to a pdf file which could then be blown up into a poster size image. (A1 or A2)
I didn’t achieve this sadly, but I did achieve some pretty lovely images so I’m happy with that, considering I wanted to initially run screaming from the lecture hall!
Here are a few I managed to create which I will work up into posters later. I am liking the last ones, and the black and white ‘worms’ are pretty interesting too.
Upon reading the brief I thought I might try and find a way around this coding lark. The brief was to create a poster image from processing and writing code. HA! I thought to myself – let’s give this some ‘outside of the box’ thinking.
I created this poster, a bit tongue in cheek but it made me smile….